- WHAT KINDS OF THINGS DO PEOPLE SEEK HELP FOR? There are many reason for a person to seek counseling such as life transition, feeling unhappy, unfulfilled, sadness, or feeling angry. People also seek out counseling to help change behaviors that are troubling them including addictive, traumatizing or disordered behaviors or behaviors that affect their relationships with friends, at home or at work. Other people seek out counseling because they know they are going through a difficult time or facing a difficult decision and they desire a place to sort through their feelings and move forward in their life with intention and clear thinking.
- HOW DOES THERAPY HELP? When you are a willing participant in therapy, you could experience new insights situations, clearer thinking, better understanding of your feelings and needs, release of troubling emotions. Therapy is a process, and a working relationship develops between client and therapist. Therapy is not always comfortable or straightforward. Clients should always feel comfortable with their therapist.
- DO YOU WORK WITH COUPLES AND FAMILIES? Yes, my practice includes work with individuals, couples, and families.
- IS WHAT I SAY CONFIDENTIAL? Yes. All client-therapist conversations are private and confidential. It is also confidential information that a person is meeting with a counselor. Only in rare exceptions when the safety of a client or other is at risk can disclosure of confidential client-therapist information take place.
- WHAT CAN I EXPECT AT THE FIRST SESSION? You can expect to talk about the concern(s) that brought you into counseling and also about your background and personal history. You can share on a level that feels comfortable for you. You can also expect to have some brief paperwork to fill out.
- HOW LONG AM I IN THERAPY? We don't have a timetable. We believe that there are different levels of healing and growth, and that some people will prefer a longer timeframe. Our lives are frequently complicated, and developmental/relational trauma and/or healing take time. That relationship, as well as the time it takes, is fully supported and valued. We also believe in maintenance/growth work that can be performed in the absence of symptoms. We go beyond symptom management.
- HOW LONG DOES A COUNSELING SESSION TAKE? Sessions are typically scheduled for 45 to 50 minutes and most people see their counselor once a week for consistent progress to be made.
- HOW MUCH DOES COUNSELING COST? A typical counseling session with a licensed, Master's level social worker costs from $100-200. Most insurances will cover some of this cost. If you have concerns regarding affording psychotherapy, we can discuss these and whether or not you may meet my guidelines for a sliding fee scale. I work out mutually agreeable payment options with all of my clients so that cost does not hinder them in pursuing counseling. While many clients are initially very concerned about whether or not they can afford counseling, most find that as their life and priorities change new ways of funding therapy appear--whether through less need to consume to distract from pain or through new means of income due to increased energy and investment in life.
- WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
No-Show / Cancellation Policy Please Read Carefully.
We realize that emergencies and other scheduling conflicts arise and are sometimes unavoidable, however, advance notification allows us to fulfill other patient’s scheduling needs and keeps the clinic operating at is most efficient level. Due to our one-on-one 45 or 60-minute treatments, missed appointments are a significant inconvenience to your therapy, the clinic and other clients.
- Please provide our office with at least 24-hour notice to change or cancel an appointment. Patients who do not attend a scheduled appointment or do not provide 4-hour notice to change a scheduled appointment may be responsible for the full cost of your session. This charge cannot be billed to insurance and must be paid on or before the next scheduled appointment.
- We reserve your one-hour appointment time just for you. We do not double-book our patients so that we may provide optimum treatment outcomes for all our patients. 24-hour notice allows us to place another patient in your cancelled appointment period to received needed treatment.
- Certain insurance claims adjusters expect regular attendance to therapy as a requirement of an approved treatment plan. If appointments are missed or cancelled on a regular basis it could affect the status of your claim. Your treatment plan has been established by your therapist to get you back to your regular activities as quickly as possible. Missing appointments hinders that process and may end up prolonging recovery.
- After missing three appointments without notice, you may be placed on a same day scheduling policy for your treatments, which would not allow you to schedule any appointments in advance. Alternatively, your therapist my terminate your treatment. A part of the policy will allow you three months to return to treatment after a termination has been placed on your case.